What is Coronavirus?
The novel coronavirus identified by China in 2019, officially named as COVID-19 by the World Health Organization (WHO). The WHO has declared a global health emergency due to coronavirus. First, it was identified in the Wuhan City in China in December 2019. Now, more than 120 countries are affected with Novel coronavirus. More than 140,000 cases of the infection reported worldwide and more almost 4,800 people killed worldwide. After China, Iran and Europe become the new epicenter of coronavirus. More than one-third of the COVID-19 cases are currently outside China. The WHO declared this disease as a global pandemic.
According to the WHO, Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. These viruses were originally transmitted between animals and people. The most common forms can cause mild to moderate illness in people, while other forms circulate among animals, including camels, cats, and bats. It causes illnesses ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). SARS, for instance, was transmitted from civet cats to humans while MERS moved to humans from a type of camel.
Symptoms of Coronavirus:
Here are some few symptoms which may appear 2-14 days after exposure.
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Severe Cough
- Shortness of Breath
- Breathing Difficulties
- Unknown Incubation Period
- Impaired Liver and Kidney Function
In more severe cases, it can lead to pneumonia, multiple organ failure, and even death.
What to do to avoid catching or spreading coronavirus?
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- Always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- Use hand sanitizer if soap and water is not available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterward
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- Try to avoid to go to crowed area