Passport is a travel document issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India which certifies the holders as citizens of India by birth or naturalization as per the Passports Act, 1967. It is required for international travel. If you have a passport, you are able to enter in another county along with Visa. A passport contains a holder’s name, place, and date of birth, photograph, signature, and other relevant identifying information.
Types of Passport
There are three types of Indian passports.
- Ordinary Passport: – This type of passport is issued for ordinary citizens for ordinary travel like a vacation, study, and business. It is “Type P” (P stands for Personal). It comes in Dark Blue cover with 36 to 60 pages.
- Official Passport: – This type of passport is issued to an individual representing the Indian Government on official business. It is “Type S” (S stands for Service). It comes in White cover.
- Diplomatic Passport: – This type of passport is issued for Diplomates, Top Ranking Government Officers. It is “Type D” (D stands for Diplomatic). It comes in Dark Maroon cover.
How to apply for Passport in India:
An individual can apply online for the Indian passport through the Passport Seva website www.passportindia.gov.in or the passport Seva app. The detailed procedure of applying for the passport is mentioned below:
Online procedure for Passport in India
- If you want to apply for a passport, you need to register on the Passport Seva Online portal www.passportindia.gov.in
- After registration, you need to login to the portal using the registered login ID and password.
- Now you need to click on ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/ Re-issue of Passport’ link.
- Now you fill the required details in the form. Complete it and check carefully before submitting.
- Submit your form and proceed to next.
- Click “Pay and Schedule Appointment” link to get an appointment to visit your nearest Passport Seva Kendra (PSK) office. You can search the most convenient PSK and check availability before singing for date and time.
- Online payment is mandatory to confirm the appointment. You can make your online payment by using Credit/Debit Card, Internet Banking, SBI Bank Challan.
- Once the payment is made and the appointment is booked.
- Click on “Print Application Receipt” option to get a printout of your Application Reference Number (ARN) and appointment number (it is not mandatory an SMS with your appointment details is accepted as proof of appointment)
- Visit the “Passport Seva Kendra” when your appointment is booked with original documents and photographs of the right size with plain white background.
Passport Delivery: After the above processer, the passport prepared and then sent it to your address by post. You can check into the portal when your passport is being despatched. You should available at home to sign for your passport, or your close family member also to do so.
Offline procedure for Passport in India:
It is a half offline and half online process. You cannot apply directly or personally at Regional Passport Office.
Register on website www.passportindia.gov.in and download form and take a printout on A4 size paper. Fill this form carefully with a current photograph and self-attested documents and submit it at the below centers.
District Passport Cell (DPC) – Speed Post Centre (SPC) – Citizen Service Centre (CSC)
These centers sell and accept passport applications for new passports only. They collect required documents and passport fees. Then these centers forward your application to the appropriate Regional Passport Office (RPO) for further processing.
Point you remember when filling Passport form:
- Always use capital letters and leave a blank box between two words.
- Always use Blue or Black pen, do not use pencil or ink pen.
- Avoid overwriting and try to fill all information in given space.
Document required for Passport in India:
For Address Proof
- Passbook of running bank account having the photo of the applicant
- Landline or postpaid mobile bill
- Rental agreement
- Electricity bill
- Voter ID card issued by Election Commission of India
- Water bill
- Income Tax Assessment order
- Proof of Gas connection
- Aadhar Card
- Copy of the first and the last page of the parent’s passport, in case of minors
- Certificate from employer of reputed companies on their letterhead
- Copy of the first and the last page of the spouse’s passport mentioning the applicant’s name as spouse of the passport holder.
For Proof of Date of Birth:
- Birth Certificate
- Aadhar Card/e-Aadhar (How to Apply Aadhar Card)
- PAN Card (How to Apply PAN Card)
- Voter ID card issued by the Election Commission of India
- Driving license
- Transfer certificate/school.
- The copy of an extract of the service record of the applicant (only for government employees) or pension order (retired government employees) which is duly attested or certified by the officer of the concerned department of the applicant.
- The copy of the policy bond that is issued by the Public Life Insurance Corporation/Companies having the date of birth of the holder of the insurance policy.
Value of Indian Passport:
- Indian Passport holders are able to travel 25 countries without a visa.
- Indian Passport is 71 most powerful passport In World.
- Indian Passport is valid for 10 years.
- Passport can be used as a residence or identity proof.