PAN card is one of the most crucial and important documents. PAN means Permanent Account Number. PAN card number is a unique 10 alphanumeric character allotted by the Income Tax Department in the form of a laminated card. It is used as an ID proof and it remains unaffected by the change of address throughout India.
How to apply for PAN Card?
A PAN card is seen as an essential document nowadays. Now it is required everywhere even if you do not have income. Earlier it was a long procedure to get the PAN card but now, the process of PAN card is very easy. You can apply online or offline as per your convenience. If you are computer Savoy, you can apply online else you can take help from an agent then you need to pay a little bit extra amount.
Here is online procedure to apply for PAN Card:
If you are applying online, first, you need to scan all your documents as it will require while submitting the form. Here are some steps:
- Visit the tax information network website of the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
- Select the option, “New PAN – Indian Citizen (Form49A)
- Select category of PAN card you needed options are individuals, trust, Limited Liabilities, Partnership, Firm, etc.
- Fill up your personal details and capture code and submit.
- Now the system will generate a temporary token number, note down this token number.
- Click on continue with PAN application then you will be direct to fill more personal detail.
- Select how you want to submit the document 1) Physically 2) Digitally 3) E-sign and upload your documents that you have scanned earlier.
- Enter what the document you enter for proof for identity, address, and date of birth. Confirm the declaration, place, and date of application. The most common and preferred is a scanned image through e-sign.
- In the next step, you will be required to enter your area code, AO (assessing officer) type, range code, and AO number. Click next.
- Select the documents you have submitted as proof of age and residence from the drop-down menu, fill in the required detail and then click submit.
- Once your documents are uploaded you will be directed to the payment option. You can choose one of the many online payment methods or demand draft. Demand Draft and Online payment fee charges for PAN application will vary.
- Once you have made the payment, you will be required to go through the Aadhaar authentication process, or submit documents via e-sign or to physically send the documents to NSDL. You will also receive an email acknowledgment from NSDL about your application and payment.
- Your Pan Card will be couriered to you once the application has been processed. Keep the acknowledgment number with you.
Offline Procedure to apply for PAN Card:
- Visit the https://www.tin-nsdl.com or https://www.utiitsl.com/UTIITSL_SITE website.
- Select the New PAN option on the website.
- You will find Form 49A for Indian Citizens including NRI/NRE/OCI individuals.
- Fill all the details given in the form.
- After filling the form you need to submit the form and pay the processing fee.
- Once you click, you will find a page with 15 digit acknowledgment. Print the page and sign in the space provided there.
- Attach passport sized photographs (do not staple) on the acknowledgment along with the proof of identity and proof of address documents and also Demand Draft in case you are paying through DD.
- Send the above to the NSDL office by post within 15 days of submitting the online application form.
- NSDL will process your request and send your PAN card on your communication address.
- You can also download your PAN card by acknowledgment number.
- Enter the acknowledgment number and click on generate OTP enter the OTP and click on the validate button to download ePAN. Click on download to download the PAN card.
Please read other related blogs:
- How to Apply for Passport
- How to Apply for Aadhar Card
- How to Apply for Driving License
- How to Apply for Arm License
Here is some importance of PAN Card:
- PAN card is necessary for opening bank account
- PAN card is used as unique universal ID proof
- PAN card is mandatory for financial transaction
- PAN card is mandatory to buying properties and vehicle as well as for large investment and cash deposits
- A person with zero income can get PAN
- Minor cannot apply directly for PAN card, parents guardian or representatives can apply
Document required for PAN card:
- Voter ID
- Ration Card
- Driving License
- Arm’s License
- Aadhar Card