Aadhar card is a 12 digit unique identification number issued by the Indian government to every individual resident of India. UIDAI (The Unique Identification Authority of India), which function under the planning commission of India, is responsible for managing Aadhar number and Aadhar identification card. It can be issued after the receipt of demographic information (address, date of birth) and biometric information (iris scan, fingerprint, etc.)
The Aadhar identity platform is one of the key pillars of digital India where is every resident of the country is provided with a unique identity. Aadhar is an identity with Uniqueness, Authentication, Financial Address, and e-KYC, enable the government of India to directly reach residents of the country in delivery of various subsidies, benefits, and services by using the resident’s Aadhar number only.
Why we need Aadhar card?
- The Aadhar number is a proof of identity, proof of address as well as proof of age across India.
- Aadhar is paperless online anytime anywhere identity.
- Aadhar card help to avail all government subsidies like LPG subsidies.
- It is easily accessible identity card. It also reduces the risk of an original document being stolen or misplaced, it can be downloaded anytime anywhere.
- Aadhar card help to get passport and police verification.
- It helps in opening a bank account.
- Aadhar card number help pensioner to avail their pension at home without leaving home as their detail can be access through Aadhar card.
- In “Jan-Dhan-Yojna” the Aadhar card is the only document for the opening of a bank account.
Eligibility for Aadhar card:
Every resident is eligible to apply for the Aadhar card. No matter you are NRI or foreigner if you stay in India more than 182 days you can apply for Aadhar card. The person has to be above 3 years.
Documents required for Aadhar card:
You can submit a photocopy of any of the supporting documents are accepted by the UIDAI as identity proof:
- Birth certificate
- PAN card
- Either Ration or PDS Photocard
- Voter Identification card
- Driving license of the applicant
- Photo identification cards issued by the Government of India
- Service photo ID cards that are issued by a PSU
- License of Arms
- Photo Bank ATM card
- Photo Credit card
- Photo card of the Pensioner
- Photo card of the Freedom Fighter
- Photo Passbook of Kisan
- Photo card of CGHS
- Certificate of Marriage
- ECHS Photocard
- Aadhar card of parent
- Identity proof like ID card of school or identity card issued by Tehsildar / Gazetted officer on letterhead that has child’s photograph
How to apply for Aadhar card:
For below 5 year:
- Visit Aadhar enrolment center, they provide a form for enrolment
- Parents should have their Aadhar details for enrolling their child
- They will take a photo graph of child
- From the parents Aadhar card all details will be filled
- Birth certificate of the child is compulsory
- Iris scan and the fingerprint will not be taken
- Aadhar executive provide an acknowledge slip with an enrolment number
- This number help to check the status of Aadhar card
- Within 90 days you get your child’s Aadhar card
For the above 5 year:
- Fill enrolment form provided by the enrolment center
- You should provide a copy of the birth certificate and school identity card. If the child not enrolled in a school then identity certificate issued by tahsildar/gazetted officer on letterhead with the child’s photograph
- You should submit the certificate of address with a photo issued by Tahsildar/ Gazetted officer/ MP or MLA on letterhead
- Iris scan, fingerprint scan of all finger and photograph will be taken during enrolment process (after 15 years this process will be repeated)
Click here to read about How to apply for PAN Card.
Online registration for Aadhar card:
For online registration, visit the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) website and click Aadhar card registration link https://uidai.gov.in/my-aadhaar/get-aadhaar.html
- You should get a form and fill all the personal details (for kids enter parent phone number and email ID)
- After filling all details click the Fix Appointment button. It will provide you an appointment at your selected Aadhar card enrolment center.
- Go to your Aadhar card center on your allotted time with the required document, reference number and printout of the form.
- At the center, all documents will be verified.
- After verification, the biometric details will be taken (if the candidate is above 5 years). It will be linked to your Aadhar card.
The objective of the project is to collect biometric (photograph, iris-scan, fingerprints) and demographic data of residents (residence address information), store them in a centralized database. Aadhar number will be valid for the full life of an individual and does not need to be changed or renewed from time-to-time. A person can get his/her Aadhar number free of cost.